Ytterbium, Yb, is a metallic element, which is found in the lanthanide
series of inner transition metals in
Group IIIa of the periodic table.
- Atomic Number : 70
- Relative Atomic Mass : 173
Ytterbium was discovered by Marignac in 1878 AD.
Ytterbium occurs in Monazite.
- is a bright silvery lustrous soft malleable ductile metal,
- is relatively stable,
- is attacked by dilute mineral acids, and
- is attacked slowly be water.
- Ytterbium is used in superconductors.
- Ytterbium has one radioactive isotope which is used as a
radiation source in portable X-Ray machines.
Start of Hypertext ....
Hypertext Copyright (c) 2000 Donal O'Leary. All Rights Reserved.