Titanium, Ti, is a transition metal element, found in
Group IVa of
the periodic table.
- Atomic Number : 22
- Relative Atomic Mass : 47.9
- Titanium was discovered by W Gregor in 1791AD.
- Titanium was first isolated by J J Berzelius in 1825AD.
Titanium is widely distributed and occurs at low concentration in
most igneous rocks. The principal ore are
- Rutile, TiO2 (tetrahedral structure),
- Brookite, TiO2 (orthorhombic structure),
- Anatase, TiO2 (orthorhombic structure),
- Ilmenite, FeTiO3, and
- Sphene or Titanite, CaO.SiO2.TiO2.
Titanium is isolated by heating a mixture of its rutile ore and charcoal
with chlorine at 700 to 1000 degC.
2 TiO2 + 3 C + 4 Cl2 ==> 2 TiCl4 + 2 CO + CO2
The resulting titanium tetrachloride is then reduced with
Titanium is a soft light lustrous metal, which is difficult to obtain
on account of the ease with which it reacts with oxygen, nitrogen, Carbon,
Titanium is used
- in alloys in the aircraft and marine industries, and
- in Titanium-Steel.
Start of Hypertext ....
Hypertext Copyright (c) 2000 Donal O'Leary. All Rights Reserved.