Potassium Chloride, KCl, occurs in cubic crystals as
sylvine, which is a white solid.
Properties of Potassium Chloride
- is soluble in water and very slightly soluble in ethanol.
- has a relative density of 2, a melting point of 772 degC and a
boiling point of 1500 degC.
- is produced industrially by fractional
crystallisation of carnallite, KCl.MgCl2.6H2O, or of
solutions from lake brines.
- has the interesting propertity of being more soluble
than sodium chloride in hot water but less soluble in cold.
- used as a fertiliser and in photography.
Start of Hypertext ....
Hypertext Copyright (c) 2000 Donal O'Leary. All Rights Reserved.